Saturday, June 4, 2016

Tonight, I'm a sub

It's a regular weekly game that has been running for years. Occasionally, they'll have a couple of regulars out for one reason or the other, and I'll get a call for the eighth seat.

I like the group, but the game, not so much. It's a flat chip structure. Each chip is a dollar. Buy-in is $30. You can bet or raise one chip. You don't so much play or protect a hand, as build the pot. All pots are split pots. Any Lo plays, A,2,3,4,6 is the nuts. At showdown you declare Hi or Lo or both ways.

Like any long standing group, there is little tolerance for suggestions, or change. So why do I go? It's a game! I do like, and get along well with, the players. Some have been friends for years. So, it's essentially social poker.

I try to win, but, the game is like a practise session where I can work on basics. Be observant, practise people and hand reading, work on my self control. I'm happy to be a sub. I'd probably be happy to b a regular.

It's poker, and it's in the neighborhood, what's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment